Sunday, December 5, 2010

Velux 5 Oceans / Christophe Bullens : still 300 miles to Cape Town

" The stopover approaches. There is still 300 nm to join Cape Town. The wind got stronger from yesterday and I am sailing at good speed to the arriving.

I had new problems with my pilot last night. It does not work very well under compass mode. So the boat bears off and it put the mast head in the water. Now there is a new hole in the main. There will be more work for the salimaker in Cape Town!


As I have to sail with two reefs since the solent stay broke and as the wind is now stronger, coming from the south at 20-25 knots, I had to take another reef. With three reefs in the main and the staysail in front, the boat is under sailed but I keep speed at over 12 knots! That's good for the future.

I did not see any life for the last two weeks. But, last night, I saw two lights in the dark. It was a cargo ship which was moving in my back on port. I was not too much concerned by his position but I did notice it was moving toward me. Then I called them on the radio to ask them what their goal was. They immediately answered that they were going to overtake me on port side. They wanted to know if all was OK on board, if I needed anything. That was kind of them. Then we talked together a little about the race and after they overtook me, they put the helm on starboard and continued their route to the south.

This will be one of my last blogs in this first leg of the VELUX 5 OCEANS. I want to thanks all the people who helped me to enter in this great adventure. "

From Velux 5 Oceans