Friday, August 2, 2013

Four new faces have been invited to join the 2014 Artemis Offshore Academy Development Squad

After a grueling test of their physical and mental stamina, sailing ability and potential to flourish in the highly competitive world of solo and short-handed racing, four 2013 Selection Trials candidates; Richard Mason, Alan Roberts, Tom Barker and Will Harris have been invited to join the Artemis Offshore Academy’s autumn UK training programme.



2013 Selection Trials - Sailing - Richard Mason
Credit : Lloyd Images

Joining the new kids on the Academy block in training will be current squad members and 2013 Solitaire du Figaro competitors Ed Hill, Jack Bouttell and Academy double-handed skipper Sam Matson, who has been invited to go full time with his own solo campaign this year – Sam currently tops the Royal Ocean Racing Club (RORC) Double-Handed Season Championship leaderboard. Richard, Alan, Tom, Sam, Jack and Ed will begin their full time UK Figaro training at the end of August, with Will combining his training with a full time degree in Oceanography at Southampton University.

Meeting the needs of the sailors has always been the Academy’s primary aim and with the French solo season starting in early March, the decision was made to move the Selection process from September to July in order to maximize valuable training time. For dinghy sailors turned Academy short-handed racers Richard, Alan and Will, there is now a lot to learn both on and off the water as Rich explained: "I’m really excited, but also apprehensive about all of the work and learning I have to do between now and the start of the new season and potentially the Solitaire du Figaro. The work starts now with my RYA Yachtmaster and safety qualifications. It’s a bit daunting, like going back to school.”

Nineteen year old student Will continued: “I’m looking forward to learning as much as I can from the more experienced squad members, while using my knowledge of racing and tactical sailing to help improve our combined skill set and become a really strong team.” Will joins Alex Gardner as a member of the Part-Time Development Squad, working towards competing in the RORC 2014 Series, while continuing with academic studies.

The 2014 Academy Development Squad will remain in the UK building on their keelboat skills, before joining the French in training at either the Centre d’Entrainement Méditerranée (CEM) in the Mediterranean, or along side other CEM sailors based in Brittany. More experience skippers Ed and Jack will be on hand initially to guide the new sailors, passing on their knowledge and campaign experience to the new generation and as put by long-time Academy member Sam, ‘setting the bar’: “Already knowing the Figaros pretty well from this season’s double-handed racing, having Ed and Jack with us will really give me something to push towards.”

A member of the Artemis Offshore Academy since 2010, Sam has balanced his training with studies for the last three years. Having just been awarded a first class honours degree in Navigation and Maritime Science from Plymouth University and sitting on top of the RORC Series leader board, 2013 has been a top year for Sam and he is delighted to have been given the opportunity to race solo next season: “The Academy put in place a flexible programme for me so that I could be part of the squad and also not miss out on my education, as they believed it was important for me to get my degree. I’m really happy to have been involved with the Academy since the beginning, seeing it evolve and myself progress and develop as a short-handed sailor, to now being given the opportunity to start my fourth season with the Artemis Offshore Academy, full-time and solo.”

With the squad now decided, the Artemis Offshore Academy coaches and team start work on a structured training and fitness programme for each member 2014 Development Squad. It is likely that all five of the Academy’s Figaros will be in action over the coming months primarily based in Cowes, with additional training out of the 2012 Olympic Sailing Venue of The Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy


They said
Richard Mason
“I’m really happy to have been accepted into the ranks of the Artemis Offshore Academy. I’m excited, but also apprehensive about all of the work and learning I have to do between now and the start of the new season and potentially the Solitaire du Figaro. 

We’ll start with a solid base of training in the UK, with a week or so in France to validate what we learn. Then our performance and acceleration through the training will be reviewed and it will be decided whether we head for France and the Figaro circuit for the 2014 racing season.”

“I’m not sure I’m totally prepared to go from the top of my current game to the bottom of this new one, but hopefully I won’t be too near the bottom! The work starts now with my RYA Yachtmaster and safety qualifications. It’s a bit daunting, like going back to school.”

Sam Matson
The day after I took part in the first Artemis Offshore Academy Selection Trials back in 2010 I started University. The Academy put in place a flexible programme for me so that I could be part of the squad and also not miss out on my education, as they believed it was important for me to get my degree. 

2013 has been my third season racing the Figaro double-handed and we’ve had the best results yet with Artemis 21 currently top of the RORC double-handed leader board. I’m really happy to have been involved with the Academy since the beginning, seeing it evolve and myself progress and develop as a short-handed sailor, to now being given the opportunity to start my fourth season with the Artemis Offshore Academy, full-time and solo. “

“I’m really looking forward to training with the new squad, but already knowing the Figaros pretty well from my seasons racing double-handed, having Ed and Jack with us will really give me something to push towards.”

Will Harris
“I’ll be training with the Academy alongside my studies, so it will be a big challenge for me learning to balance the two. My goal for the end of the year is to have built up my keelboat and short-handed racing experience, competing in the RORC Series. I’ll be training alongside the new 2014 sailors and some already experienced 2013 squad sailors, so I’m looking forward to learning as much as I can from those guys, while using my knowledge of racing and tactical sailing to help improve our combined skill set and become a strong team. “

“I was really happy to have been told I’ll be joining the Academy. I had no idea, I was so tired by the end of the Trials it was really hard to read the selector’s reactions to my performance, but it seems it all worked out in the end.”

Alan Roberts
“It’s really exciting to have been asked to join the Artemis Offshore Academy and I’m looking forward to training in the UK and really getting to know the boat. I’ve still got to get all of my RYA Yachtmaster exams, safety qualifications and brush up on my yachting knowledge having predominantly sailed dinghies until now, but I’m confident I can do it. I’ve got the racing and sailing experience and I am a quick learner, so I hope I’ll be able to get to grips with the Figaro pretty quickly.”

Tom Barker
“It is such an honour to have been selected for the Academy as it is the place to be for British sailors with solo aspirations in the UK. It’s an amazing opportunity. I’m looking forward to training on home waters with the growing fleet of UK Figaros this autumn. It’s really encouraging to see the British fleet expanding and training out of Cowes and Weymouth this autumn will be great promotion for solo offshore sailing in the UK.”

Source : Artemis Offshore Academy